Burnaby Mountain District is pleased to be welcoming a new District Commissioner team.
For the last four years, Burnaby Mountain has had a wonderful Commissioner, Gerry. During her term, Burnaby Mountain’s membership numbers have increased substantially, and new units have opened allowing us to serve more girls in our community. Gerry also was at the helm of a variety of district events, with highlights such as Science Day at SFU in the 2013/2014 Guiding year and the super successful Space Centre Sleepover in 2014/2015. These kinds of all-ages, large scale events with clear educational benefits are typical of Gerry’s conviction for having “fun with a purpose” in Guiding. These are traditions that the district will hopefully continue.
Gerry, out-going DC, happily barbecuing for her district’s Guiders
Starting today, Gerry’s term has concluded and taking over for her as District Commissioner is Bethany. In addition, the district now also has the benefit of a Deputy District Commissioner who will help support Bethany with the DC duties. Bethany is thrilled to have Saffina taking on the Deputy DC role.
The new DC team! Deputy District Commissioner Saffina (left) and District Commissioner Bethany (right)
Bethany and Saffina both have several years of Guiding experience. They have been active guiders in the district for a long time and both have experience with international Guiding.
Sometimes, parents and girls don’t have a very clear idea of what the District Commissioner does. The DC leads the district council. This includes a variety of important duties including (but not limited to):
- Communicating information from the Area, Provincial, and National levels of Girl Guides of Canada to our unit’s Guiders
- Ensuring that safety, legal, financial, and administrative procedures are being followed in all units
- Interviewing and orienting new leaders
- Facilitating communication throughout the district including team building, workload sharing, and if necessary, conflict management
- Coordinating the district’s biannual Girl Guide Cookie campaigns
- Planning, or overseeing the planning, of large-scale district events
It is a big job, and Bethany and Saffina anticipate that Gerry will continue to mentor them for the next few months as they get accustomed to their roles.
Thank you, Gerry, and welcome to Bethany and Saffina!