The “Guiding Year” is almost upon us now and registrations are going great in Burnaby Mountain District. We had our first day of promotion at Lougheed Town Centre today and will be back on Sunday, meeting the community.
We are especially promoting our Pathfinder unit at this time and have come up with an awesome way for girls of that age to try out a taste of our program to see if they’re a good fit before committing to registration.
Burnaby Mountain District presents…
Pathfinder Kick-Off Event
September 21-22, 2013
Have you ever thought about joining Girl Guides? It’s not too late! Pathfinders enjoy girl-centered programming focussed on the things that girls enjoy. Typical activities include outings, camping, community service, skill building, and arts. If you’re a 12-14 year old girl, try this taste of Pathfinder’s event without committing to joining the group – if you have fun, then you can register after!
Who: 12-14 year old girls
What: A tent-out and trip to the Richmond Night Market
Where: A Girl Guide property in Richmond
When: September 21-22
(plus a recommended $10 to buy dinner at the market)
Interested in signing up? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details. Come with a friend – maybe you’ll both want to join.
Girl Guides of Canada is a great organization to volunteer with. Guiding is about girls and women, and there are great opportunities for adults who get involved.
Here are some things you might not know about being involved as an adult member in Girl Guides:
- There are thousands of dollars available in scholarships for adult members at any stage of their education
- There are opportunities to travel abroad with or without girls (see Saffina’s trip to the UN, for example)
- Some or all costs for outside trainings like First Aid and FoodSafe may be covered
- Other trainings about camping, event planning, communication, and youth programming are offered
- Various supports are available to help new leaders such as mentoring and online and in-person training
- Little kids aren’t your thing? That’s okay! Volunteer with our older branches and work with teenagers
- Link (18-30) and Trefoil (30+) are adult-only groups where women meet with their peers and pursue interests, volunteering, camping, and outings
- Unable to commit to weekly meetings? Maybe you could get involved on a District or Area level where you’d attend a couple meetings a month and do the rest of the job from home.
Right now, our District is most desperate for Pathfinder (ages 12-14) leaders, but other units could use help as well. Contact us to find out how you can get involved.
We’d love to welcome you into the world’s largest organization for girls and women. We’re 10 million strong — that’s quite a community to be a part of!
West Coast Area is hosting an event called A Taste of Guiding for anyone who might be interested, but looking for more info. RSVP is requested so please contact us (via comment or e-mail) for details on how to do that.
A Taste of Guiding
Sept 7th 2013 10:00 AM — 12:30 PM
Richmond Guide House, 4780 Blundell Rd. Richmond (corner of Railway and Blundell)
Come & join us for a fun-filled session to find out what we have to offer. There will be camping, games, art, leadership, and much more. You won’t want to miss it!
There is no cost for this event. Refreshments will be provided.