As the days of summer of stretch out before us, are you looking for a simple, inexpensive way to keep your kids entertained? Look no further than balloons!
An experienced Girl Guide leader always has a few tricks up her sleeve that come in handy when she needs a quick fun activity with very little preparation. Maybe the weather didn’t cooperate with an outdoor plan, or a guest speaker cancels at the last minute, or craft you’ve planned just doesn’t come together… whatever the case may be, there are always reasons to have a quick easy back up ready to go.
At the 1st Burnaby Mountain Sparks the leaders pulled out balloons on one of these occasions. And wouldn’t you know it — the kids had a total blast! There are so many things you can do with balloons:
- Use them as a name game — pass the balloon to someone after saying their name
- Find out how long you can keep one in the air using only “wind” power (i.e. air blown from your mouth, or with a paper fan)
- See how long you can keep one balanced on one finger
- Work as a group to keep many balloons in the air as long as possible
- Use one as a ball for a game of soccer
- Try to “juggle” 3 or more balloons at once
- Create an obstacle course and complete with a balloon between your knees
Use your imagination to come up with activities that can be done alone, in pairs, or as a group. The possibilities are endless! And since balloons are inexpensive and can easily be stored (before inflation, of course) in just about any bag you might carry, they make for a great “rainy day” back up.